[ga] "Open" Working Groups

On Sun, 13 Jan 2002 17:23:24 -0800, Kent Crispin wrote:

> You know the saying about those who don't know history are condemned to
> repeat it?  You are proposing that we repeat history.  We tried open
> WGs and they don't work for the purpose you imagine they do.

Thank you for your input, Kent.  We must be getting warm now :-)

History is like an analogy.  It may, or may not, fit the present
circumstances.

A good example is the ancient system of English common law.  One judge would
make a determination in the circumstances of the particular case.  Later
another judge would look to see if the previous case set a precedent.  If it
did, the second judge would follow the previous determination.

However, the second judge could "distinguish" the case if the circumstances
were not the same as in the previous case.  That would then set a new
precedent.

The question is, therefore, what were the circumstances of the previous trial
of Open Working Groups?  And why exactly did they fail?

Best regards
Patrick Corliss