Re: [ga] Working Groups

Patrick Corliss wrote:

> On Sun, 13 Jan 2002 16:24:20 -0500, Sandy Harris wrote:
>
> > There's also no benefit in having a "working group" unless it is actually
> > empowered to make decisions which the DNSO can be expected to carry out.
>
> I couldn't agree that a working group should be "empowered" to do anything
> except report to somebody.  Nothing else concurs with the ICANN Bylaws.
>
> What sort of power do you expect the WG to have over the SOs for example?

We're talking a bit at cross purposes here. Let me try to clarify.

What I'm trying to do is advocate a model more like (my understanding of)
the way the IETF does things rather than the current way ICANN does them.

I think this is urgently necessary because the current ICANN system does not
appear to be working well, and the IETF system is the only method that has
ever been demonstrated to work for designing and running an Internet.

I admit I'm not at all certain how the IETF system should be modified to
suit ICANN's quite different role, or indeed that it can survive attempts
at such modifications. As I see it, the first attempt gave us the current
ICANN structure, and is obviously failing. Time to move back toward the
IETF model, then perhaps cautiusly try other modifications.

So, in that context, I'm saying I'd like to see roles much more like the
IETF system of Working Groups overseen by Area Directors and the IESG
(Internet Engineering Steering Committee).

Restrict the Names Council and ICANN Board from rewriting WG proposals.
They can reject a proposal, or send it back to the WG for a rewrite, but
not rewrite it themselves. On overall policy matters, they might generate
pronouncements like the IESG/IAB RFC 1984. However, the basic model is
that decisions are made by Working Groups.

Scrap the idea that the Names Council should ever appoint a closed Task
Force rather than setting up an open Working Group to deal with a problem.

Scrap the notion of constituencies. Let them join the Working Groups.