[ga] The GA -- A Respected Forum ?

On Sun, 13 Jan 2002 21:36:02 +0100, Thomas Roessler wrote:

> On 2002-01-13 11:53:21 -0800, Eric Dierker wrote:
>
> >New chairs will be elected and appointed in the next few days.  My
> >administrative role in this group will end at that point.
>
> You have no administrative role in this group at this point of time,
> and I'd strongly suggest that you do not simulate having one to
> others.
>
> Since there's no visible benefit in moving these discussions away
>  from the main GA list at this time (at least, nobody has pointed one
> out so far, I think), I'd (again) suggest that the discussion on the
> deletion issue remains on the main GA list.

Hi Thomas

It's a pity that you just want to continue "more of the same" as this approach
has demonstratedly failed in the past.

The truth is that unless the GA sets up working groups which can deeply probe
the important policy issues we will continue to be a chat forum which achieves
nothing of substance.  Worse, the GA is now little more than a joke.

Have a look around.  When did you last see a post from any of the respected
participants other than Chuck Gomes who was arguing for VeriSign's WLS
proposal?

Where are the postings from any of the ICANN Board members or any of the ICANN
staff?  Their names are too well known for me to even mention them but Karl
Auerbach and Joe Sims come to mind.

I remember that Amadeu Abril i Abril has posted here as has Andrew McLaughlin.

Where are the postings from anybody in the Business Constituency or even
anybody in the Non-Commercial Constituency?  Names such as Marilyn Cade,
Phillip Sheppard and Milton Mueller.  What about the Registrars or the new
Registry operators?

Where indeed are any postings from those in the Alt Root world like Joe
Baptista, John Palmer, Bradley Thornton, Marc Schneiders, Roeland Meyer or
Richard Sexton?  Or the former Chair and Alt Chair?  Have we already forgotten
Roberto Gaetano and Harald Tveit Alvestrand?  And where are the academics who
used to be here and posting?

With 200 or more ccTLDs you should surely expect some postings from the
representatives of Australia, Canada, South Africa or the other English
speaking countries.  What about the major non-English speakers like France,
Spain and Germany?  Or those in the minor league like Qatar, Ghana or
Cambodia?

Please tell me of one single occasion where the GA has determined a policy
issue of any sort that has met the consensus criteria required by the ICANN
Bylaws?

How, then, do you expect the GA to be a respected forum?  Should you get
elected, you would be the Chair in charge of little more than Eric Dierker and
Jeff Williams.

Even Jefsey Morfin seems to have lost interest !!

Best regards
Patrick Corliss