Re: [ga] Stuart Lynn wants restricted TLDs only

Dear WXW,
On 09:52 11/01/02, William X Walsh said:

>http://biz.yahoo.com/rf/020110/n10212356_2.html
>The president of the group that oversees the Internet's naming system
>said Thursday that he favored creating new members-only suffixes, such
>as .edu and .museum, over unrestricted domains like .com and .info.

I note that this is conform to RFC 920 which provides that any consortium
of registrants having a prospective number of 500 Members is entitled to
its own TLD provided it may operate 2 TLD name servers. This RFC is with
the RFC 1591 and the ccTLD Best Practices and the ICANN document ICP-1 the
basis for the RT/BP (Root and TLD Best Practice that several Root
Administrators comply with, among others to prevent TLD collisions - one of
your legitimate concerns - and TLD squatting). You will finf it under
http://boroon.net .

The only main difference between the RT/BP and the other documents is that
the RT/BP acknowledge the lack of properly managed Internet global NIC (
the IANA ) and respects TLD Manager public declarations. This conforms with
the practice for new network systems roots as we initiated and served them
from 1977 to 1986 starting with uk, ger, rs, fra, ita, com, net, eisa, ....
arpa, etc. until we had converted in 1986 the public international services
to the X121 ITU standard adressing plan, switching the responsiblity of the
emerging Internet from being interconnected to be the interconnecting
system as far as naming and non ISO technologies where concerned.

I note that the current ccTLDs position, proposing the ICANN a contract
where the ICANN serves the ccTLDs, strictly conforms with that practice
where the International interconnects were peer to peer and the machine
management of the national standalone gateways (POP,Tymcom,  X.25) or
independent X.75 services (Sweden, Lebanon) were agreement for separate
services to the local operator.

This was before Joe Sims misuntderstood the nets yet understood Jones Days
interests.
Jefsey