[ga] Stuart Lynn wants restricted TLDs only

http://biz.yahoo.com/rf/020110/n10212356_2.html
The president of the group that oversees the Internet's naming system
said Thursday that he favored creating new members-only suffixes, such
as .edu and .museum, over unrestricted domains like .com and .info.

M. Stuart Lynn, president of the Internet Corporation for Assigned
Names and Numbers, told Reuters that restricted ``top level'' domains
open only to members of a select group such as schools or museums
would likely pose fewer problems than unrestricted top-level domains
open to the general public.

``A lot of the problems surrounding the new TLDs (top-level domains)
are less in a sponsored environment,'' he said.

Has to be the lamest reason I've ever heard.

Sounds more like trying to find an excuse to do what the Corporate/IP
interests would like, which is to see NO new unrestricted TLDs.  They
fought hard during Workgroup C to prevent open TLDs from being
introduced, arguing for no expansion of the namespace.

I think the quote in my sig reflects quite appropriately on this
situation.

--
Best regards,
William X Walsh <william@wxsoft.info>

"There is no better way to exercise the imagination than the study of
the law. No artist ever interpreted nature as freely as a lawyer
interprets the truth."
-- Jean Giradoux