Re: [ga] Stuart Lynn wants restricted TLDs only

WXW and all assembly members,

  I see nothing wrong or bad about having restricted TLD's
for special purposes or types of organizations.  What is bad
is how the process for selection determination for new TLD's
is, and has been conducted thus far.  It is also not a good idea
to have restricted or specialized TLD's at the expense of
unrestricted TLD's or gTLD's as they are generally known.

  The big test is in progress with the divestiture of .ORG (dotORG)
as there are some ICANN officials that are pushing for it to be
a Restricted TLD when it has been a unrestricted TLD for
some time now.  This will be a dress rehearsal for .NET (dotNET)
as well...

William X Walsh wrote:

> http://biz.yahoo.com/rf/020110/n10212356_2.html
> The president of the group that oversees the Internet's naming system
> said Thursday that he favored creating new members-only suffixes, such
> as .edu and .museum, over unrestricted domains like .com and .info.
>
> M. Stuart Lynn, president of the Internet Corporation for Assigned
> Names and Numbers, told Reuters that restricted ``top level'' domains
> open only to members of a select group such as schools or museums
> would likely pose fewer problems than unrestricted top-level domains
> open to the general public.
>
> ``A lot of the problems surrounding the new TLDs (top-level domains)
> are less in a sponsored environment,'' he said.
>
> Has to be the lamest reason I've ever heard.
>
> Sounds more like trying to find an excuse to do what the Corporate/IP
> interests would like, which is to see NO new unrestricted TLDs.  They
> fought hard during Workgroup C to prevent open TLDs from being
> introduced, arguing for no expansion of the namespace.
>
> I think the quote in my sig reflects quite appropriately on this
> situation.
>
> --
> Best regards,
> William X Walsh <william@wxsoft.info>
> --
>
> "There is no better way to exercise the imagination than the study of
> the law. No artist ever interpreted nature as freely as a lawyer
> interprets the truth."
> -- Jean Giradoux

Jeffrey A. Williams
E-Mail jwkckid1@ix.netcom.com
Contact Number:  972-244-3801 or 214-244-4827