Re: [ga] WLS

Friday, Friday, January 11, 2002, 1:19:28 AM, Ron Wiener wrote:

> for certain groups just in order to get ahead of the competition.  BTW,
> while most of the conversation on this board wrt competition has been
> focused on registrar-registrar competition, the real crux of the debate
> amongst speculators - between those for and those against WLS - is the
> competition between speculators to grab names - and the total lack of
> ability for mainstream users to compete at all.

The WLS does not address this concern at all, however, Ron.  It just
moves the competition up to the Registry level, at an exorbitant
markup, and eliminates what has become a growing industry in the
domain registration business.  Of course, since those companies are
your competition in the current system, eliminating one of their
business models is obviously not a concern for you, since your company
is protected by this backroom deal with Verisign.

> Freedom of Choice

> To quote Peter Girard, Afternic/Register.com:

>  "The 'Status Quo Proposal' suggested by George Kirikos may be intended
> humorously, but it must be pointed out that this is not an option. The
> system will change. Allowing dozens of companies to competitively game the
> registry's delete system does not constitute consumer choice and
> competition. It only forces the consumer to subscribe to innumerable
> 'attempts' to snatch a name, all but one (and usually all) of which must
> fail to provide a trace of value."

It (the Status Quo) does no such thing, and there is nothing to
suggestion Peter is correct in this regard.  You know it as well as I
do.

> Dotsplash's quote (from registrant POV):

Sorry, but your quoting him as a reliable source just made me lose
interest in anything else you have to say.

Your vested interest defense of the WLS is meaningless.

--
Best regards,
William X Walsh <william@wxsoft.info>

"There is no better way to exercise the imagination than the study of
the law. No artist ever interpreted nature as freely as a lawyer
interprets the truth."
-- Jean Giradoux