Re: [ga] Re: Restructuring Working Group

Danny and all stakeholders or interested parties,

DannyYounger@cs.com wrote:

> In an effort to assist the ALSC, I have noted the areas in their draft report
> where they request the benefit of additional input.   Your comments on these
> topics would be appreciated.
>
> 01.  the risk of capture or fraud  --
> "There are issues with a system in which domain name holders are given the
> option of becoming part of an ALSO and taking part in elections that need
> further discussion and elaboration (e.g. there might be some risk of capture,
> although less than in the email-based case)."  "...assumption that
> organizations will not attempt to create or influence large numbers of
> individual domain name holders voting on their behalf, and we are looking for
> input on ways to detect and avoid such behavior."

  The easiest way is to discontinue this practice and only have the ALSO
members register individually whether or not they hold a domain name.
We believe that the method you outline here is dangerous with respect
to well financed terrorists organizations currently using our (US) banking
system with credit cards issued from these banking institutions, as reported
today on Meet the Press, to allow for a large number of these undesirable
individuals causing problems that we do not want and certainly don't need.

> 02.  defining geographical zones --
> "...six different regions in the world, and have suggested for discussion, a
> division we believe is appropriate..."
>
> 03.  providing financial assistance to users --
> "(Any e-mail address holder can acquire a domain name at minimal cost, but
> with some effort. To help ensure that this is not an impediment to those who
> want a domain name and want to be an At-Large member, the ALSC suggests that
> the ICANN community identify and encourage organizations that could provide
> appropriate assistance to such users.)"  "To help ensure that this approach
> to At-Large membership is not an impediment to those who want a domain name
> and want to participate in an ALSO, the ALSC suggests that the ICANN
> community identify and encourage organizations that could provide appropriate
> assistance to such users. We encourage input on this and hope to include
> specific suggestions and named institutions in our final report."

  This is of course pure political nonsense and is being used as a method of
excluding those stakeholders that are not and do not wish to be Domain Name
holders/owners yet are contributors to the internet in any number of already
well known ways...

> 04.  individual/institutional dichotemy --
> "…but only individuals may vote. Institutions already play a greater role in
> the existing Supporting Organizations, so this seems an appropriate balance.
> We encourage your input on this issue."  "We recognize that using "individual
> domain name holders" for At-Large membership could include a named person
> behind large and small institutions' domain name registration. We invite
> comments on this point."

  This does not cover the situation with those that hold 3rd or 4th level domain
names.  As such it is not representative of the stakeholder community.

> [...]
> regions and ultimately provide meaningful user advice to the Board. We
> welcome comments on potential by-country diversity requirements among these
> various individuals."  "...Guidelines for establishment of local and
> regional-based ALSO entities to build a global ALSO framework."
>
> 07.  privacy protections --
> "...sudden large numbers of individual holders representing the domain names
> of a single entity will most likely be visible, depending on the final
> decision about privacy protections for At-Large members."  "...we solicit
> input on specific mechanisms - including user choice - to protect the privacy
> of At-Large members while simultaneously encouraging open, transparent
> communication among them and with the various organizations and interest
> groups that wish to educate them and solicit support for their policies."
> "...Methods for ensuring At-Large member privacy while maximizing the
> opportunities for open, transparent education and discussion among members
> about ICANN issues."
>
> 08.  free speech --
> "…any attempt by organizations to influence votes on a broad scale is likely
> to backfire, as at least some of the subjects of such attempts will publicize
> them and complain. We welcome input on what specific rules or procedures may
> be appropriate, while recognizing institutions rights to free speech."
>
> 09.  mobilizing the grassroots community --
> "The ALSC also sees great benefit in immediately "jumpstarting" the ALSO with
> voluntary, grassroots efforts and encourages input how this could be
> accomplished."  "...Global outreach and organizing campaign focused on
> engaging Internet users at the local and regional level."
>
> 10.  additional funding issues --
> "The ALSC is in the process of developing specific const estimates for
> implementation of its recommendations. ICANN may want to consider financial
> contributions from outside sources to help offset this cost. The ALSC has
> considered a number of approaches to address the outreach, development and
> management issues involved in simultaneously launching and funding an ALSO
> and conducting a global election. The ALSC requests input on potential
> implementation mechanisms and processes and will seek to develop specific,
> consensus recommendations on execution for the Board's consideration."
>
> 11.  technical issues --
> "There are also significant technical issues that need to be addressed."
> "... Detailed investigation of using the Extensible Provisioning Protocol for
> automatic updating and gathering of registrant data for those that opt-in to
> At-Large membership."  "... Membership registration processes and issuance of
> a request for proposals for management of a database/processing system to
> receive payments and membership information from registrars."  "...
> Agreements with TLD registrars for implementation of At-Large membership
> registration and collection of membership fees."

Jeffrey A. Williams
E-Mail jwkckid1@ix.netcom.com
Contact Number:  972-447-1800 x1894 or 214-244-4827