Re: [ga] Re: Restructuring Working Group

Jeff Williams wrote:

> Danny and all stakeholders or interested parties,
>
> DannyYounger@cs.com wrote:
> > 03.  providing financial assistance to users --
> > "(Any e-mail address holder can acquire a domain name at minimal cost, but
> > with some effort. To help ensure that this is not an impediment to those who
> > want a domain name and want to be an At-Large member, the ALSC suggests that
> > the ICANN community identify and encourage organizations that could provide
> > appropriate assistance to such users.)"  "To help ensure that this approach
> > to At-Large membership is not an impediment to those who want a domain name
> > and want to participate in an ALSO, the ALSC suggests that the ICANN
> > community identify and encourage organizations that could provide appropriate
> > assistance to such users. We encourage input on this and hope to include
> > specific suggestions and named institutions in our final report."
>
>   This is of course pure political nonsense and is being used as a method of
> excluding those stakeholders that are not and do not wish to be Domain Name
> holders/owners yet are contributors to the internet in any number of already
> well known ways...

Jeff et al.

What you say is true, there are many who contribute to the Net but do not hold
domains.  However, what we are talking about here in the General Assembly of the
Domain Name Supporting Organization are subjects that pertain to the Internet
Corporation of Assigned Names and Numbers.  I wish to draw attention to the term
"assigned".  Assignation involves responsibility.  IMHO, it is reasonable to expect
that one responsibility of all `assignees' is to fulfil certain basic qualification
requirements.

Look at it this way, in order to vote in America, one needs be a citizen.  How many
non-citizens are there currently living and working in the United States?  Surely
obtaining the 'rights and responsibilities' of 'assignation' is a whole lot easier in
an ALSO based on domain qualification, than becoming an American citizen is in the
real world?

Sincerely,

Sotiris Sotiropoulos