[ga] Re: Restructuring Working Group

In an effort to assist the ALSC, I have noted the areas in their draft report
where they request the benefit of additional input.   Your comments on these
topics would be appreciated.

01.  the risk of capture or fraud  --
"There are issues with a system in which domain name holders are given the
option of becoming part of an ALSO and taking part in elections that need
further discussion and elaboration (e.g. there might be some risk of capture,
although less than in the email-based case)."  "...assumption that
organizations will not attempt to create or influence large numbers of
individual domain name holders voting on their behalf, and we are looking for
input on ways to detect and avoid such behavior."

02.  defining geographical zones --
"...six different regions in the world, and have suggested for discussion, a
division we believe is appropriate..."

03.  providing financial assistance to users --
"(Any e-mail address holder can acquire a domain name at minimal cost, but
with some effort. To help ensure that this is not an impediment to those who
want a domain name and want to be an At-Large member, the ALSC suggests that
the ICANN community identify and encourage organizations that could provide
appropriate assistance to such users.)"  "To help ensure that this approach
to At-Large membership is not an impediment to those who want a domain name
and want to participate in an ALSO, the ALSC suggests that the ICANN
community identify and encourage organizations that could provide appropriate
assistance to such users. We encourage input on this and hope to include
specific suggestions and named institutions in our final report."

04.  individual/institutional dichotemy --
"…but only individuals may vote. Institutions already play a greater role in
the existing Supporting Organizations, so this seems an appropriate balance.
We encourage your input on this issue."  "We recognize that using "individual
domain name holders" for At-Large membership could include a named person
behind large and small institutions' domain name registration. We invite
comments on this point."

05.  implementation and management measures --
"The ALSC assumes there will be a need for committees or working groups and
requests input on potential implementation measures. We will seek to develop
specific, consensus recommendations on execution for the Board's
consideration."  "…initial outreach and organizing efforts be undertaken. The
ALSC assumes committees/working groups and specific guidelines will be
needed, and requests input on potential implementation and management
measures. We will seek to develop specific, consensus recommendations on
execution of these recommendations for the Board's consideration."
"...structure and processes for an At-Large membership election:  The ALSC
recognizes the complexity involved in planning, executing and managing such
processes, and encourages discussions, analysis and input on implementation
options. We expect to provide more detailed process recommendations in our
final report after we receive public input."  "...Guidelines for the creation
of an ALSO with the mission of At-Large outreach and education, engaging
members, aggregating views, enabling consensus decision-making, and working
closely with other Supporting Organizations to address issues and develop
policy on Internet user issues that fall within ICANN's specific technical
and administrative mission."

06.  pluralism --
"The ALSC also is aware that potential would exist for holding domain names
to influence the At-Large membership and representation, and encourages input
on potential mechanisms to ensure geographic diversity and pluralism"  "By
giving the At-Large Council the responsibility to help organize local and
regional organizational structures, the ALSO will have a critical framework
that enables At-Large members to learn about and discuss At-Large issues in
their own language, find common ground with users in other localities and
regions and ultimately provide meaningful user advice to the Board. We
welcome comments on potential by-country diversity requirements among these
various individuals."  "...Guidelines for establishment of local and
regional-based ALSO entities to build a global ALSO framework."

07.  privacy protections --
"...sudden large numbers of individual holders representing the domain names
of a single entity will most likely be visible, depending on the final
decision about privacy protections for At-Large members."  "...we solicit
input on specific mechanisms - including user choice - to protect the privacy
of At-Large members while simultaneously encouraging open, transparent
communication among them and with the various organizations and interest
groups that wish to educate them and solicit support for their policies."
"...Methods for ensuring At-Large member privacy while maximizing the
opportunities for open, transparent education and discussion among members
about ICANN issues."

08.  free speech --
"…any attempt by organizations to influence votes on a broad scale is likely
to backfire, as at least some of the subjects of such attempts will publicize
them and complain. We welcome input on what specific rules or procedures may
be appropriate, while recognizing institutions rights to free speech."

09.  mobilizing the grassroots community --
"The ALSC also sees great benefit in immediately "jumpstarting" the ALSO with
voluntary, grassroots efforts and encourages input how this could be
accomplished."  "...Global outreach and organizing campaign focused on
engaging Internet users at the local and regional level."

10.  additional funding issues --
"The ALSC is in the process of developing specific const estimates for
implementation of its recommendations. ICANN may want to consider financial
contributions from outside sources to help offset this cost. The ALSC has
considered a number of approaches to address the outreach, development and
management issues involved in simultaneously launching and funding an ALSO
and conducting a global election. The ALSC requests input on potential
implementation mechanisms and processes and will seek to develop specific,
consensus recommendations on execution for the Board's consideration."

11.  technical issues --
"There are also significant technical issues that need to be addressed."
"... Detailed investigation of using the Extensible Provisioning Protocol for
automatic updating and gathering of registrant data for those that opt-in to
At-Large membership."  "... Membership registration processes and issuance of
a request for proposals for management of a database/processing system to
receive payments and membership information from registrars."  "...
Agreements with TLD registrars for implementation of At-Large membership
registration and collection of membership fees."