[ga] Re: destroyer of the GA/ Intentional?

Dear Eric,

Thank you for expressing your concerns.  I too have some concerns that I
would like to share with you...

When the ICANN organization contemplates a new structure that only calls for
Supporting Organizations for providers, developers, and users, the
probability of the continued existence of the DNSO is either slim or none
(and by my estimation, Slim has already left town).

When registries and registrars are promised their own SO with the right to
elect their own Board members, they have no need for continued participation
in a dysfunctional  DNSO (they are quite comfortable routing around this
point of failure anyway).   Members of the Non-Commercial constituency have
articulated that they see no need to attempt to raise the $30,000 in dues
owed to the DNSO because they no longer expect it to survive.  The ccTLDs
have already indicated that they will no longer support the DNSO past the end
of its fiscal year and expect to have their own SO.  The Business
Constituency is already attempting to position itself on the provider side of
the equation (much to the consternation of other providers that do not see
such a "fit"), and Individuals will no longer have a pressing need to
establish a constituency within the DNSO when they can have their own ALSO
that will elect a minimum of six Board directors.   The Intellectual Property
Constituency will have no difficulty settling upon a Standing Committee
structure (comparable to the GAC), and the ISPs will simply have to decide
whether they represent User interests or whether they are in fact to be
positioned among the providers.  No one will be left in the DNSO after this
transition.   The DNSO is effectively dead.

We are facing a new future.  You are welcome to spend your time clinging to
the processes of the past, promoting motions and bringing pressing issues to
the floor... but these actions will be overshadowed by the dynamic
environment.  Very soon (in six weeks), the ICANN Board will act on the
recommendations of the ALSC -- and nowhere in their report do they discuss
the role of the General Assembly.

Together with Roberto I have spent all my time in Montevideo lobbying members
of the Board, and others with influence, for the continued existence of the
concept of the "Open Forum" as an integral part of ICANN structure.   We
might be able to preserve a General Assembly; we most likely will not be able
to reform or restructure the DNSO -- all attempts thus far have been met with
opposition by the Council, and most of its current constituent members now
have even more favorable options awaiting (in the restructuring of ICANN that
will be forthcoming).

As I see it, your choices are limited -- you may either provide substantive
input to the ALSC prior to their 26 October working deadline (thereby helping
to shape the decisions that will emerge), or you can go about your
business-as-usual and await the decisions that will be foisted upon you.  I
prefer to become involved in the process to determine our own future.

Paralysis occurs when one is not willing to accept evolutionary momentum.
Change is on the horizon... the type of change will in part be dictated by
your contribution (or lack thereof) to this effort.  I encourage you to
thoroughly read the ALSC and NAIS documents and assist in arriving at a
consensus determination.  We have only a little more than a month to submit
our recommendations, observations, and suggestions for improvement.  The
Board will act with or without your involvement; they have a duty to
safeguard the best interests of the Corporation -- it is up to you as a
participant in the ICANN process to offer advise on the best path forward.  I
hope that you will share your views.  The continued existence of the Assembly
may well depend upon it.