Re: [ga] Just published: "The dummies guide to turning human tragedy topolitical advantage"

Joanna Lane wrote:

> http://angua.rince.de/icann-europe/2001/09/msg00004.html
>
> *    From: Mike Roberts <mmr@darwin.ptvy.ca.us>
> *    Date: Sun, 16 Sep 2001 21:23:56 -0700

> At the time, going on three weeks ago, I had in mind something like
> US $100 from several thousand individuals who actually were willing
> to put their money where their mouth was about having a functioning
> At Large organization.

"You" had in mind?  Plenty of people think about a lot of things.

> Today, that idea is out the window, along with a lot of other
> populist notions about any old terrorist around the globe getting to
> vote on how to run the DNS.

I think Joanna summed it up pretty well.. "terrorists do not vote, they throw
bombs"(!)  Would all terrorists currently involved in ICANN please step forward
and be accounted for!  Hey Mike, when's the Gestapo going to show up at our
doors?

> When civilization takes a step backward, as it did last week, it
> usually means a period in which the people with the guns make the
> decisions.

If I remember correctly, in America the citizens are also armed by
constitutional right, no?

> Anyone watching the American President on tv in recent
> days knows that's where we're at.  It may be a while before the
> luxury of debating what constitutes consensus in a terrorist-less
> society returns.
>
> If you were thinking about contributing to an ICANN ALSO, send it to
> the Red Cross instead.

I think the 40 billion George W. and Co. got should suffice, especially when one
figures in the insurance monies etc..  The ALSO and the Red Cross are two very
different things Mike, let's not confuse the two please.

Sotiris Sotiropoulos
                        Netizen.