Re: [ga] Letter from ICANN to New.net

Kent Crispin wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 26, 2001 at 07:43:37PM -0400, Sotiris Sotiropoulos wrote:
> > Kent Crispin wrote:

> > > What they argue really isn't very important -- they are so full of hype
> > > you can't tell what they are talking about anyway.  What matters is what
> > > they *do*, and they have *done* is create an alternate root.
> >
> > Actually, it's more of an enhancement to the existing root... like an
> > amplification, if you will.
>
> You are just parroting hype.  The fact is that new.net has conflicting
> TLDs already.

Kent, I was under the impression that you were of the opinion that there's no such
thing as a conflicting TLDs...  Correct me if I'm wrong, but did you not state
that in the past Kent?  In any case, I am not "parroting hype"... you're engaging
in petty slurs.  But that's your style (or lack thereof) and we love you for it
Kent. :-)

> >  The simple brute fact is that ICANN and the USG
> > had not foreseen the inventive approach employed by new.net
>
> Sorry, once again I'm afraid you don't know what you are talking about.
> There is nothing at all new in what new.net is doing.

Sure there is Kent... they're doing it. :-)  Oh, and what's so novel about what
the ICANN and the USG are doing, hmm?

> > to circumvent
> > the cartel-like conditions that were becoming increasingly evident through a
> > growing number of blatant abuses of a *non-existent power...
>
> "blatant abuse of a non-existent power"?

Well, according to Esther Dyson under ICANN letterhead:

"ICANN is Not a *Regulator* As this history establishes, and its bylaws make
clear, ICANN is a creation of the Internet community itself; perhaps the best
analogy, although not perfect, is a private standards-setting body. It has no
statutory authority, and never will; its influence derives solely from the
willingness of the various participants in the Internet -- both governmental and
non-governmental -- to participate in the development of its policies and abide by
the results of that consensus-development process. The global Internet is a
voluntary network of (mostly private) networks, and it works in large part because
the participants choose to work together to make it work."

Nonetheless, ICANN is certainly playing the regulator here and now, aren't they
Kent?

Regards,

Sotiris Sotiropoulos