Re: [ga] UDRP Questionnaire

Sandy and all assembly members,

Sandy Harris wrote:

> "Cade,Marilyn S - LGA" wrote:
>
> > Is there a definition of domain name in a relevant RFC? I don't know the
> > answer, but that might be a good question to ask someone on the IAB/IETF.
>
> As an RFC, or the same document as an Internet Standard:
>
> ftp://ftp.isi.edu/in-notes/rfc1034.txt
> ftp://ftp.isi.edu/in-notes/std/std13.txt

Neither of these is a standard, but rather "Notes".  the latter of the two
references does contain a RFC-1035 with is an RFC (Request for Comment)
not a standard that is relevant to what Marilyn was requesting/suggesting.
None the less it is assumed that a Domain Name is easily recognizable...

> DOMAIN NAMES - CONCEPTS AND FACILITIES
> November 1987, obsoleting some earlier RFCs.
>
> | .. a hierarchical name space, with the hierarchy roughly corresponding
> | to organizational structure, and names using "."  as the character to
> | mark the boundary between hierarchy levels. ...
> |
> | 2.2. DNS design goals
> |
> | The design goals of the DNS influence its structure.  They are:
> |
> |   - The primary goal is a consistent name space which will be used
> |     for referring to resources.
>
> Hence the need for ICANN, or some other method of managing a single
> consistent name space.
>
> |    In order to avoid the problems caused by ad hoc encodings, names
> |    should not be required to contain network identifiers, addresses,
> |    routes, or similar information as part of the name.
>
> A section the proponent(s?) of "IPv8" should take to heart. Violating
> this is one of the more obvious flaws in that suggestion.
>
> The closest thing to a definition, in rather formal terms:
>
> | 3.1. Name space specifications and terminology
> |
> | The domain name space is a tree structure.  Each node and leaf on the
> | tree ...
> |
> | Each node has a label, ... One label is reserved, and that is
> | the null (i.e., zero length) label used for the root.
> |
> | The domain name of a node is the list of the labels on the path from
> | the node to the root of the tree.  By convention, the labels that
> | compose a domain name are printed or read left to right, from the
> | most specific (lowest, farthest from the root) to the least specific
> | (highest, closest to the root).

Jeffrey A. Williams
E-Mail jwkckid1@ix.netcom.com
Contact Number:  972-447-1800 x1894 or 214-244-4827