Re: [ga] UDRP Questionnaire

Jeff Williams wrote:

> > > Is there a definition of domain name in a relevant RFC? I don't know the
> > > answer, but that might be a good question to ask someone on the IAB/IETF.
> >
> > As an RFC, or the same document as an Internet Standard:
> >
> > ftp://ftp.isi.edu/in-notes/rfc1034.txt
> > ftp://ftp.isi.edu/in-notes/std/std13.txt
>
> Neither of these is a standard, but rather "Notes".

Nonsense.

> the latter of the two
> references does contain a RFC-1035 with is an RFC (Request for Comment)
> not a standard that is relevant to what Marilyn was requesting/suggesting.

It has an STD number; that labels it officially as an Internet Standard.
See RFC 2026 "The Internet Standards Process":

   Some RFCs document Internet Standards.  These RFCs form the 'STD'
   subseries of the RFC series [4].  When a specification has been
   adopted as an Internet Standard, it is given the additional label
   "STDxxx", but it keeps its RFC number and its place in the RFC
   series. ...

Divergent opinions are fine, but please don't attempt to make factual
pronouncements unless you know what you're talking about.