Re: [ga] UDRP Questionnaire

"Cade,Marilyn S - LGA" wrote:

> Is there a definition of domain name in a relevant RFC? I don't know the
> answer, but that might be a good question to ask someone on the IAB/IETF.

As an RFC, or the same document as an Internet Standard:

ftp://ftp.isi.edu/in-notes/rfc1034.txt
ftp://ftp.isi.edu/in-notes/std/std13.txt

DOMAIN NAMES - CONCEPTS AND FACILITIES
November 1987, obsoleting some earlier RFCs.

| .. a hierarchical name space, with the hierarchy roughly corresponding
| to organizational structure, and names using "."  as the character to
| mark the boundary between hierarchy levels. ...
|
| 2.2. DNS design goals
|
| The design goals of the DNS influence its structure.  They are:
|
|   - The primary goal is a consistent name space which will be used
|     for referring to resources.

Hence the need for ICANN, or some other method of managing a single
consistent name space.

|    In order to avoid the problems caused by ad hoc encodings, names
|    should not be required to contain network identifiers, addresses,
|    routes, or similar information as part of the name.

A section the proponent(s?) of "IPv8" should take to heart. Violating
this is one of the more obvious flaws in that suggestion.

The closest thing to a definition, in rather formal terms: