Re: WXW GA Director - Re: [ga] Reply to William Walsh

David and all assembly members,

DPF wrote:

> On Wed, 13 Jun 2001 17:57:00 -0700, William Walsh wrote:
>
> >Hello Derek,
> >
> >There are no GA directors, and this body can work within itself, it
> >does not need to elect "representatives" to an executive board to get
> >results.
>
> My initial reaction to Derek's proposal was pretty negative but having
> thought about it further I believe his proposal actually has
> considerable merit which may be worth considering.
>
> Almost every organisation in the world has some sort of executive
> committee to co-ordinate and make sure things happen.  There is a
> reason for this model - because it works.

  In some organizations it does work.  But in most, it doesn't work
very well.  Our own US congress is a good example.  It works
sometimes, but even when it does, it does so VERY slowly.  This
is the internet, and the GA is not an organization but and assembly.
The difference is rather astounding...

> Now once upon a time I might have suggested that the Names Council is
> effectively the executive of the GA but this is clearly not the case.

  Which counters your premise just above...

> The GA has no real relationship with the NC.  The GA does not elect
> the NC, in fact the NC appoints the GA Chair.

  The GA elects one representative to the NC.  That is the relationship.

> The NC has no
> obligation to help the GA function better even though individual
> members may be supportive.

  This is a problem to be sure.  But the GA rep to the NC should be doing
this.  Currently that has not been too forthcoming....

> So perhaps there is merit in having the GA elect its own Executive.

  I already does!!

> This would be an Executive with no *powers* but with responsibility.

  Without some powers, the responsibility's cannot be managed.

> Of course they would have an open mailing list but they would act also
> as an agenda former where they spend extra time on considering what
> issues are upcoming, leading consultation on them, putting together a
> draft position paper and then having the GA endorse or modify it.

  This is what WG's are supposed to do within the GA.  And have done,
though not often enough...

> These sort of things can be done by an group of 7 - 9 people far
> easier than a mailing list of 200.

  Assembly's are not supposed to be easy.

>  And with a more shared workload
> than on 1 or 2 people only.  Everything would still come back to the
> GA for endorsement but in an easily debatable form.

  Most assembly members may not prefer being spoon fed a
"Debatable Form" in which they had no active part in building...

> If the "Exec" fail to be useful or even worse a hindrance the members
> can be replaced or even the thing dropped as an experiment.

  Not very efficient way of getting things done IMHO...  But than
Assembly's are not suppose to be clean, they aren't.  The are messy.
However and group of "Exec's" usually only make a mess even messier
in most instances that I have been associated with, but not all...

> However currently as a GA we are incredibly dysfunctional and upon
> reflection the idea of an accountable organising cmte/exec might be
> useful to improve our output.  I believe it is certainly worth
> considering.

  It is being considered now.  Debated here and now.  And from what
I have seen thus far, Dereks suggestion is no being well received...

> DPF
> --
> david@farrar.com
> ICQ 29964527

Jeffrey A. Williams
E-Mail jwkckid1@ix.netcom.com
Contact Number:  972-447-1800 x1894 or 214-244-4827