Re[2]: [ga] the NC takes the next step

Hello DPF,

Wednesday, June 06, 2001, 12:33:01 PM, DPF wrote:

> On Wed, 6 Jun 2001 12:07:17 -0400, you wrote:

>>Regardless of the representation within a ccTLD country or region, do
>>we or anyone outside that region have a right to interfere?
>>
>>In the end, if a country is at odds with a cctLD manager, it should be up
>>to them to work it out and not ICANN, an SO organization or any other
>>outside force.  To do anything else puts ICANN in a political policy
>>position which is completely out of line.

> Eventually if no agreement can be reached someone has to make a
> decision and that is currently DOC and IANA.  There does need to be
> some redelegation mechanism IMO.

Actually if memory serves me, they lock the TLD if there is a dispute,
and have even appointed a custodial operator (RIPE) in at least one
case until the parties could come to a mutual agreement.

Basically, its work it out between you, or we will lock it and neither
side will get their way.

With ICANN's changing policy and making statements that the
governments of those countries are responsible for the TLDs (a policy
statement that I disagree with, and one which I think the ccTLDs could
challenge as unlawful if they sued ICANN in a US Court, since the only
binding contract on the ccTLDs is RFC1591 AS IT WAS when the ccTLD was
delegated (not the modified version which adds the government text)
presumably ICANN would allow the government to solve the problem, but
ICANN has no policy on what type of government solution is acceptable.

Under ICANN's rules presumably a country's fish and game department
could make that decision, or any bureaucrat that either party could
get to side with them (and we all know how easily they can be bought,
even if indirectly).

--
Best regards,
William X Walsh