Re: [ga] Opinion Concerning ICANN Board/ccSO Matter

WXW and all assembly members,

William X. Walsh wrote:

> Hello DPF,
>
> Monday, June 04, 2001, 4:58:24 PM, DPF wrote:
> > Note I do not recommend this path of action.  But it is definitely
> > feasible
>
> Remote possibility maybe.  But not really something that any ccTLD
> would seriously consider doing.

  Oh?  How so?  From some that I have heard form it is a definite
possibility.

> > Most ccTLDs (OECD ones anyway) are supported by their Government and
> > local communities and if domain names in that country stopped
> > resolving because of ICANN feuding with the local ccTLD, there would
> > be phone calls to the WhiteHouse damn quick and DOC not ICANN control
> > Root Server A.
>
> You seem to think the backlash would be against ICANN/USG.
>
> By and large, even in the EU, the governments supported the creation
> of ICANN, and have been participating in the GAC.

  Yes.  And recently many of them have become fed up with GAC
and ICANN...

> With ICANN they got almost cart blanche authority over the ccTLDs,
> something they didn't have pre-ICANN, and most certainly would not
> have if the ccTLDs went their own way, since all but a small handful
> of the ccTLDs (who were already in co-operative agreements with their
> government, such as .dk) opposed this change in policy from the
> original RFC1591 text and policy.
>
> --
> Best regards,
> William X Walsh
> mailto:william@userfriendly.com
> Owner, Userfriendly.com
> Userfriendly.com Domains
> The most advanced domain lookup tool on the net

Jeffrey A. Williams
E-Mail jwkckid1@ix.netcom.com
Contact Number:  972-447-1800 x1894 or 214-244-4827