Re[4]: [ga] Opinion Concerning ICANN Board/ccSO Matter

Hello Jim,

Monday, June 04, 2001, 10:02:44 PM, Jim Ayson wrote:

>>Most ccTLDs (OECD ones anyway) are supported by their Government and
>>local communities and if domain names in that country stopped

> Many, but not all. There are many ccTLDs that are operating independently
> of government support.

I'd even venture to say the number that are operating with any kind of
official government sanction are in the vast minority.

.dk and .au are the most prominent.  .us appears to be going that
route with NTIA soliciting for a new manager for the TLD.

There are some with some quasigovernment involvement (such as .cl
which is run by the University of Chile, which is a state school, but
in this case is more closely resembling a private non-profit rather
than a government oversight of the TLD).

--
Best regards,
William X Walsh