RE: [ga] GA Credibility.

Dear Friends,

Do you feel proud to be involved with the GA?

Do you feel satisfied when reading each days postings?

Do you feel good about helping to protect the future of the Internet?

I'm only a six-month veteran of involvement with the DNSO ML, beginning
with the WG-Review.

During that experience (actually the ML does LIVE ON over on Yahoo) I often
felt amused and concerned when side issues would begin to dominate
discourse but the feeling was calm and forward movement kept a good pace.

In the GA I almost feel dirty when reading the daily posts.  Where is the
progress?  What are we REALLY trying to do?  What are the goals and objectives?

Actually it is such a shame because the vast majority of participants share
so much common ground.  I often feel very confused when (insert name of
favorite rivals here) go at it.  And you know, I understand why it
happens.  Everyone feels frustrated because they want so much to DO
something real but in spite of all the best intentions, time spent, and
research nothing gets done.

It is the leaderships fault, right? For not organizing things better, right?

NO, wait,  it is the membership's fault for making it too difficult to try
to accomplish anything.

NO, wait, it is someone else's fault because they are an idiot and for some
reason need to be told so publicly because I guess it will make the world a
better place or something.

As individuals, we are capable and have good intentions and dedication to
affect positive change.  As a group, we are a rabble drunk on self-import
and knowledge which we inflict on our brethren.

It is only external factors it seems which sometime, briefly, start to
bring focus to discussions: ICANN meeting create deadlines, requests from
NC for reports make us scramble to find something to say...

If you cannot be positive and constructive, then what is the point of
touching the keyboard?  Do we need to hear you berate our fellow member(s)?

Historic rivalries abound and mutual respect is too rare.  Everyone
deserves respect, even idiots and fools.

Next time, ignore the insult.  Next time, don't listen to excuses cloaked
in the name of reason as to why we can't do something positive.  We can
make a difference but we are in this boat together and history is
watching.  Remember, everything you say is being read by hundreds of people
who do care enough to find out ICANN exists and the DNSO exists and then
they even go ahead join the group.

1. Define the issues.
2. Set priorities.
3. Make a plan. (including SCHEDULE)
4. Organize and delegate responsibilities to teams.
5. Report progress and difficulties along the process.
6. Make a conclusion, vote on it if necessary and pat yourselves on the
back for getting something done for a change.

Very basic Project Management 101 stuff.

I know I'm just complaining, mostly, but please heed this cry for civility
and decency.  We are better than this, aren't we???

Onward ho: from Gawdawful Arsholes to Grand Architects (for a better ICANN
and better Internet experience for all).

Sincerely,
Brian