[ga] Re: [PRIVATE] List Rules and Protocols

Hello Patrick,

Tuesday, April 17, 2001, 12:28:22 AM, Patrick Corliss wrote:

> Hi William

>> > I appreciate the comment to which you refer was directed to Michael Froomkin
>> > personally and, as such, may not comply with the list rules and protocols.
>>
>> I disagree.  These are NOT the kinds of comments that the list rules
>> were intended to address, neither Kent's nor Chris' response.
>>
>> We need to be careful not to broaden the rules, or we make the
>> criticisms levied when they were enacted become prophecy instead.

> You are not in a position to judge how many complaints are received on a daily
> basis in respect of comments such as these.  The fact that people are disposed
> to make complaints suggests that the issue of "ad hominem" attacks is a matter
> of concern.

A "matter of concern" is irrelevant.

> The posting by Kent Crispin falls into the category of making comments of a
> personal nature.  It suggests that Michael Froomkin is biased.  Chris Ambler's
> response was unfair as he attributed to Kent Crispin what was said by Dave
> Crocker.

Comments of a "personal nature" are not banned.  Personal ATTACKS are.

Chris did no such thing.  He merely pointed out that Dave was
criticizing people for looking at his underlying motives, while Kent
was doing the same thing.

Unfair posts are not rules violations anyway.

> All you are doing is undermining the integrity of the list.

> If you want to discuss the rules, please do so without discussing cases which
> may come before the List Monitors.  I'll post an extract of the rules onlist.

EXCUSE ME?

First of all do not tell me that I am undermining the integrity of the
list by telling you when you are crossing the line with overapplying
the rules.  The overapplication of the rules is VERY MUCH an ontopic
issue.

I will discuss the rules with specific or general points as I see fit,
Mr Corliss.  Specific Actions are infact on topic when making those
points.

--
Best regards,
 William                            mailto:william@userfriendly.com