RE: [ga] [ADMIN] Suspension of Dave Crocker

> and the "bottom-up, consensus-based process" we use
>to arrive at recommendations for global internet policy.

>i would hope that those on this list realize
>that the media is watching (or at least reading).

As soon as you hear the term "bottom-up, consensus-based process" in a
serious tone when speaking about ICANN it is clear that the rest of the
interview will be nothing more than rhetoric.  That is why you have all
these arguments and banning on this list.  I do not believe anybody really
believes that statement and as soon as you hear someone talking like that
there is no point in arguing because you are arguing with a politician who
has an agenda rather than a legitimate discussion.

That is also why there is so much discussion about ICANN and the rules about
being a California corporation.  People are looking for law, rules, etc. to
try to get information from ICANN because they will not take the
responsibility, or put out the effort, to have an open process.

It is too much trouble, people just want to slow us down, they don't need to
know, people will try to stop what we are doing, yada yada yada.  One of
most unbelievable statements was mad by Andrew McLaughlin to the Politech
mailing list:

"I'm always amazed by the amount of misreporting & hyperventilation about
domain name stuff -- this one's no exception."

I thought it was Mr. McLaughlin's job to make sure this stuff doesn't
happen!  I have made numerous requests to ICANN for detailed explanations
about how the various panels and committees were chosen and even asked to
review tax returns which they are required to provide me by law.  I have
never received any of the information I requested.  If this would have been
done by the Dept. of Commerce rather than ICANN I would be able to get at
least some of the information via the Freedom of Information Act (FOIA).
ICANN doesn't even come close to meeting the FOIA standard (which is not
that good to begin with).

I believe it is ridiculous to try blame ICANN's dismal public image on a
bunch of wild posting on this list.  When ICANN does get a complaint about
their image they should be able to point to information sources (such as
their web site) and say, "See, here is the information about the process."
Instead the attitude is that there are all these troublemakers out there and
we have to keep everything secret or they will slow us down (and, of course,
we know we are right).

Russ Smith
http://consumer.net