RE: [ga] [ADMIN] Suspension of William X. Walsh

Harald
|>Alvestrand
|>Sent: Tuesday, November 14, 2000 9:44 AM
|>To: ga@dnso.org
|>Cc: ga-abuse@dnso.org
|>Subject: [ga] [ADMIN] Suspension of William X. Walsh

<SNIP>

|>>Only you can tell us this, since you are the only one with access
|>>the membership list, and for all we know, half of those people are
|>>made up.
|>
|>The list monitor finds that this is a personal attack that is
|>in conflict
|>with the list rules, and therefore asks the list manager to
|>suspend William
|>Walsh' posting rights to the list for 2 weeks, until November
|>27, 2000.

<SNIP>

Without presuming to contradict the findings of the monitor, I must
say that I am surprised by this action for a number of reasons.

This sets a very dangerous precedent and the monitor may find that
this ruling will be held up as an example of how such posts should be
judged.  Such ambiguous statements used in a definition for action
pave the way towards spurious allegations of impropriety and an
expectation that such complaints will be upheld.

I am also very surprised the complaint was lodged over such a
paragraph.  I have seen both Joop and WXW indulge in more heated
discussions, together and with others.  I have also seen worse on this
list from others.

It behoves me to say I find the whole incident petty and irrelevant.