Re: [ga] Re: [announce] Jonathan Cohen elected for 3 years term at the ICANN Board

On Mon, Sep 25, 2000 at 06:24:11PM +0200, Jefsey Morfin wrote:
> Kent,
>
> At 16:31 25/09/00, Kent wrote:
> >If the GA directly elected board members, it would effectively
> >duplicate the atlarge.
>
> Translation: if the Club Med had some elections, it would duplicate the
> @large as any @large Member may also be a Club Med Member.
>
> IMHO Kent, you have good arguments on some points. Do not kill
> them with such remarks. We are grown boys: every member of the
> constituency is also a Member of the GA.

You have a fundamental misunderstanding.  Not every member of the GA is
a member of a constituency.  The GA is open to anyone without regard to
constituency membership.  If it were announced that the GA was going to
directly elect 3 board members the GA membership would swell
astronomically in a very short time.   You would have all the problems
that the atlarge had.

> >There are no effective barriers to membership for a business of any
> >size.  There is nothing preventing *you* from joining.
>
> I tried. I sent a fax with my company data. I am still waiting. On the phone
> the CIGREF tells you not to send money ... just a fax (very Internet).
> Then nothing, not even a welcome (?) nor an ack message? Would that be
> because my company is 1/10000 smaller than average members?
> I am sure not !

There could be all kinds of reasons.  However, Fausett, Gaeta & Lund,
LLP is a member, and I know they are a small company.  Perhaps you
should try again...