Re: [ga] Re: [announce] Jonathan Cohen elected for 3 years term at the ICANN Board

At 18:14 22/09/2000 +0200, Roberto Gaetano wrote:
>If people buy in the fact that the GA shall not have any representative
>or governing role, then the nomination/endorsement of the DNSO-elected
>ICANN Director does not make sense. Let's remove it. Let's say
>"everything is done at the NC level" and we may find that we don't need
>a GA at all.
>What I object is the fact of having a GA that is only window dressing.
>Either it has a function, and let's put it in condition to function, or
>it does not have a function, and then let's abolish it.

So if the rules don't make sense, let's see if we can find some rules that do.

For example: instead of having the arbitrary "10" endorsements, the GA
voting registry should be allowed to cast both positive and negative
endorsements of the candidates, and the candidate must have, in addition to
10% of the voting registry in endorsements, more YES than NO endorsements
in order to be considered by the board.

Just throwing out ideas....finding a sensible ruleset to propose is a
necessary, but not sufficient precondition for a functioning DNSO.
--
Harald Tveit Alvestrand, alvestrand@cisco.com
+47 41 44 29 94