Re: [ga] Re: [announce] Jonathan Cohen elected for 3 years term at the ICANN Board

Kent,

At 16:31 25/09/00, Kent wrote:
>If the GA directly elected board members, it would effectively
>duplicate the atlarge.

Translation: if the Club Med had some elections, it would duplicate the
@large as any @large Member may also be a Club Med Member.

IMHO Kent, you have good arguments on some points. Do not kill
them with such remarks. We are grown boys: every member of the
constituency is also a Member of the GA. True: there is a risk of the
GA being over populated if a future IDNO is at individual level. The risk
was the same with the business constituency: experience shows
that welcoming associations permits the Business Constituency to
claim representing 28000 businesses with only 54 Members. Look,
Jeff Williams is only one vote and represents 112.000 individuals.
Obviously the thread is that such constituencies seriously develop
out of control and overcome the ICANN at the end of the day?

>The membership fee for small businesses is set at 100 euros/year, and
>associations of small businesses can be formed to split those costs.
>There are no effective barriers to membership for a business of any
>size.  There is nothing preventing *you* from joining.

I tried. I sent a fax with my company data. I am still waiting. On the phone
the CIGREF tells you not to send money ... just a fax (very Internet).
Then nothing, not even a welcome (?) nor an ack message? Would that be
because my company is 1/10000 smaller than average members?
I am sure not !
Jefsey