Re[2]: [ga] Re: [announce] Jonathan Cohen elected for 3 years term at the ICANN Board

Hello Kent,

Sunday, September 24, 2000, 3:02:55 PM, you wrote:

> On Sun, Sep 24, 2000 at 05:34:41PM -0400, Harald Alvestrand wrote:
>> So if the rules don't make sense, let's see if we can find some rules
>> that do.

> Given that "the rules" are based on the following premises:

>     1) the at large election to the board is to cover the popular
>     representation problem

And what does that have to do with the DNSO GA?

>     2) the purpose of the DNSO is to give constituencies a voice

No, the purpose of the DNSO is to be the Domain Name Supporting
Organization.  The problem is that the constituencies are only a very
small subset of those effected by such policy, and as such, should not
be the sole voice on matters relating to the decisions made in the
DNSO, including election of the board members.

>     3) the purpose of the nomination procedure is simply to get a
>     reasonable slate of candidates for the NC to chose among, not to
>     prevent NC members from proposing candidates

The problem is that the names council is firmly in the control of a
very small sect of special interests, who can and infact have shown
that they will ignore any and all suggestions and select a candidate
who represents their view.

If this is what was intended, rename the DNSO to the IPSO and get it
over with.

>     4) the NC is not a body with a single point of view

The names council is firmly in control by IP interests, or those who
are beholden to the IP interests.  Any "dissent" is token.  As it was
intended, Kent.  But you knew this, since you were involved in that
betrayal.

> what is the problem with "the rules"?

See above.

> Or, do you wish to dispute the premises?

The "premises" were disputed long before you posted them.

--
Best regards,
 William                            mailto:william@userfriendly.com