Re: Re[3]: [ga] FW: UPDATE: ICANN-Yokohama Remote Participation Details

At 07:37 AM 7/10/00 -0700, Kent Crispin wrote:

> > >Spot on. There is some considerably possibility that this particular
> request
> > >will not be granted. As such, Jon acknowledged that there were, in
> > >fact, requests (and that they were solicited).
> > >
> > >To date, none of them have been approved nor rejected. They are, in
> > >a word, STILL PENDING.
> > >
> > >Thank you for pointing this out, you've actually been helpful.
> >
> > QED.
> >
> > And my original point is that there is a legally binding contractual
> > obligation, via the "USC/ICANN Transition Agreement" and "Contract Between
> > ICANN and the United States Government for Performance of the IANA
> > Function", for ICANN to receive and evaluate these requests.
>
>My guess as to ICANN's evaluation:

Everyone is guessing. Why not let ICANN say something for a change?

>Those requests are a meaningless hodgepodge that were made with an
>explicit admonition that they should not be planned on.  The "don't plan
>on it" clause is in fact a straightforward denial of any "pioneer
>preference", and in fact, the straightforward interpretation of that
>clause is "there is no point in making an application now", and many
>people read it that way when it was publicized.

That's one misinformed opinion, and contrary to conversations I've had with
IANA. Not one application has been denied. Not one has been approved
either. They were submitted to the IAHC and ignored.

Please show documentary evidence of the specific application denials to
back up your fictitious claim.

>The fact that some fools actually DID make plans based on those
>requests, dispite the clear COMMAND not to, is not our problem,

The instructions from IANA were explicit. SET UP AND RUN A REGISTRY. Legal
disclaimers, of the type between registry and consumer, were provided by
IANA to all prospective registries to limit their liability in following
IANA's instructions. Criteria for evaluation were provided by IANA, which
included operational readiness. There were even meetings at IANA to
encourage and find consensus for "draft Postel". IANA did just about
everything to encourage the new registries except finance AlterNIC.

Jon Postel then explicitly told the IAHC "Do what the "postel draft" says
to do.". He was ignored.
http://www.gtld-mou.org/gtld-discuss/mail-archive/00527.html

>and it
>should not prejudice applications from organizations that read the
>clause with its obvious interpretation.

So you are advocating that it's OK to prejudice the pioneer work, in spite
of clear instructions to the contrary?

If anyone on the list wonders why the past is once again being rehashed,
it's simple. History will repeat itself over and over again until the
mistakes of the past are rectified.

Best Regards,

Simon Higgs

--