Re: [ga] FW: UPDATE: ICANN-Yokohama Remote Participation Details

"William X. Walsh" wrote:

I won't comment on the rest of the arguments; I don't know enough.
But this demands comment:

> Jon could ask for whatever he wanted, he had no authority.  Bottom
> line, its been proven by history, end of story.

Something is getting seriously muddled here. Of course Postel had
the authority. He ran IANA, and had near-universal respect, earned
by years of excellent work.

It is an open question at this point whether ICANN is ever going
to earn anything like that level of respect.

Methinks they could make a good start with some obvious moves.

     Create a consituency for individual domain owners.
       Ideally, it should have more votes or influence than either
       gov't or industry.

     Get some new TLDs into service quickly.
       Ideally, at least a dozen this year.

     Drop the silly notion of DNS enforcing trademark claims.

     Make it abundantly clear that NSI and other contractors
       who may run some services do not own those services or
       any of the related data.

In general, make it clear that ICANN sees its role as running
a public service for the net.