Re: [ga] Voters interest and Defining a voter's roll

At 08:31 3/02/00 +0100, Harald Tveit Alvestrand wrote:

>This idea reminds me of the way US elections work; everyone's entitled to
>vote, but in order to actually vote, you must register....
>
>Do you think the roll should be public (in order to monitor the action of
>the roll-keeper), or private (to protect people's privacy)?

For the greatest transparency, the roll should be public. But only names,
not email adresses. This in line with the disabling of the "who" command.

>In any case, more than one person should have the responsibility for
>monitoring the roll, I think.

Agree. The best would be an enrollment form on the DNSO website with
minimal manual intervention.
The responsibility comes into play, when determination is made about voter
identity.

--Joop Teernstra LL.M.--  , founder  of
the Cyberspace Association,
the constituency for Individual Domain Name Owners
http://www.idno.org  (or direct:)
http://www.democracy.org.nz/idno/