Re: FW: [ga] Voters interest and Defining a voter's roll

At 16:28 3/02/00 +0000, john.c.lewis@bt.com wrote:

>Shouldn't the voting rights at the GA/DNSO not have similar dependency on
>some membership of a constituency where bearing the costs give some basis
>for involvement? I acknowledge this still causes a problem for individuals
>and the great unknown 'At Large' user base, but this will then bring the
>need to address that issue more sharply into focus, once we have resolved
>the more tractable problem.

John,
I hope you do not mean this as an exclusion mechanism (from the vote) of
those who have borne a great deal of cost to promote the rights of their
constituency, without having had the "official  recognition" by the ICANN
Board.

I agree that such a limitation would bring the issue and the need to
address it sharply into focus. <g> Very sharply.
Roeland said it well enough.  He might have added that individual DN
holders are still your 'local taxpayers" , even if they are not yet
collectively funding their constituency effort.

--Joop Teernstra LL.M.--  , founder  of
the Cyberspace Association,
the constituency for Individual Domain Name Owners
http://www.idno.org  (or direct:)
http://www.democracy.org.nz/idno/