Re: [ga] Voters interest and Defining a voter's roll

At 15:30 03.02.00 +1300, Joop Teernstra wrote:

>Now when we are talking about list rules, it is clear that those not
>subscribed  to the list have no need and no interest to vote on list-rule
>issues.

not entirely - there may be people who have left the list because of the
noise level. And I know of at least one person who claims to be following
the list by reading the archives.
Those could be interested. But I think the great majority of interested
people is the list subscribers.

>In other words for list issues the total voter's roll is nothing more than
>the subscriber list at any given time.
>It is important to have a defined roll, so that this roll can be frozen
>prior to the announcement of a vote.
>
>May I propose that those interested in voting enroll themselves volutarily
>on the dnso website, or via an email to a trusted listmember willing to
>volunteer building this roll?
>
>Then both issues of identity and the measure of interest in voting can be
>addressed.

This idea reminds me of the way US elections work; everyone's entitled to
vote, but in order to actually vote, you must register....

Do you think the roll should be public (in order to monitor the action of
the roll-keeper), or private (to protect people's privacy)?

In any case, more than one person should have the responsibility for
monitoring the roll, I think.

                       Harald

Harald.Alvestrand@edb.maxware.no