Voting technology (Re: [ga] Final draft of proposed mailing list rules)

At 11:59 18.01.00 -0500, !Dr. Joe Baptista wrote:
>There's also a little problem here that is technical.  The voting booth
>can be tricked to vote multiple times.  All you have to do is switch your
>proxy settings to identify yourself as a different machine and then enter
>whomevers email address to set the vote.  This makes the results bogus as
>usual and I certainly will be taking advantage of this nonsense to vote
>often and under different identities.
>
>To say the least - i'm not impressed.

And I'm not surprised.
In this round, verification technology available was deliberately not used,
so that we could:

a) avoid excluding people who access the list by other means, such as
    reading the archives rather than being a member of the mailing list
b) see whether enough people would choose to behave in a civilized manner
    and vote once, in their own names.

Thanks for the fair warning that we will have to scan the logs for your
false votes and attempt to discard them; we would have anyway, but it's
nice to be certain that there's something to look for.

                      Harald Alvestrand

Harald.Alvestrand@edb.maxware.no