Re: Voting technology (Re: [ga] Final draft of proposed mailing list rules)

Harald and all DNSO'ers,

  Likely excuse, Harald.  And after the fact as well.  Almost too
convenient to be considered honest.  I am afraid I find your
reasons wanting.  I am very sure most others do as well.

Harald Tveit Alvestrand wrote:

> At 11:59 18.01.00 -0500, !Dr. Joe Baptista wrote:
> >There's also a little problem here that is technical.  The voting booth
> >can be tricked to vote multiple times.  All you have to do is switch your
> >proxy settings to identify yourself as a different machine and then enter
> >whomevers email address to set the vote.  This makes the results bogus as
> >usual and I certainly will be taking advantage of this nonsense to vote
> >often and under different identities.
> >
> >To say the least - i'm not impressed.
>
> And I'm not surprised.
> In this round, verification technology available was deliberately not used,
> so that we could:
>
> a) avoid excluding people who access the list by other means, such as
>     reading the archives rather than being a member of the mailing list
> b) see whether enough people would choose to behave in a civilized manner
>     and vote once, in their own names.
>
> Thanks for the fair warning that we will have to scan the logs for your
> false votes and attempt to discard them; we would have anyway, but it's
> nice to be certain that there's something to look for.
>
>                       Harald Alvestrand
>
> --
> Harald Tveit Alvestrand, EDB Maxware, Norway
> Harald.Alvestrand@edb.maxware.no

James Touton
Legal and Policy Advisory Council,
INEGRoup (Stakeholder)