Alternitive Proposals to:Re: [ga] Final draft of proposed mailing list rules

Eric and all,

  I think your suggestion is a good one.  Given Haralds proposal
strongly indicates that the "General Assembly" really doesn't exist
as a decision making body, my guess is that your suggestion amongst
some will not be very palatable or even expectable.  But it is a good
and reasonable suggestion none the less.

  We [INEGroup] are in process of preparing an alternative proposal.

Weisberg wrote:

> Going through Ms. Rony's very thoughtful post, I identified the following
> specific points which merit discussion and further drafting or alternate
> provisions before a final "vote."  Indeed, I suggest we consider and express our
> opinions on each substantive item separately rather than as a package.  I
> suspect that others will want an opportunity to make proposals for the group's
> consideration.  Please consider this a motion to defer voting until the proposal
> has been vetted and alternate provisions offered pursuant to a format developed
> by a committee consisting of Mr. Alvestrand, Ms. Rony and Mr. Gaetano.
>
> Respectfully,
>
> EW
>
> Ellen Rony wrote:
>
> > subject header
> >
> > what percentage a "consensus"
>
> > if only a small percentage of GA members vote?
> >
> > subjective as to content, cumbersome and
> > vague;
>
> > discretion in the hands of a Sergeants at Arms, who
> > may a) unilaterally impose posting limits; b) determine what constitutes
> > decorum and relevant business of the GA, and c) moderate content.
> >
> > two objective (not content-related) behaviors that
> > should be explicitly prohibited:  mailing attachments without permission
> > and  spoofing of email addresses.
>
> > the camel's nose under the mailing rules tent, with the following declaration:
> >
> >         It [the mailing list] is not itself a decision-making body.
> >
> > the GA cannot even nominate persons to serve on the Board
>
> BTW, I did notice the following provision in Mr. Alvestrand's proposal relating
> to nominations:
> "(d) The GA shall nominate, pursuant to procedures adopted by the NC and
> approved by the Board, persons to serve on the Board in those seats reserved for
> the DNSO."

Jeffrey A. Williams
E-Mail jwkckid1@ix.netcom.com
Contact Number:  972-447-1894