Re: [ga] Majordomo 'who' command

At 23:15 12.01.00 -0800, Jeff Williams wrote:
>Joe and all,
>
>   Well Joe, you are of course entitled to your opinion.  Others may or
>may not agree with it.  Several so far do, and several so far do not.
>The problem here is that disregarding well documented "Best Practice"
>to which the IETF and some on this list have subscribed to publicly
>cannot in good faith be applied inconsistently, and has been suggested
>with keeping the Majordomo 'Who' command.

FYI, IETF lists are now routinely operated without any "who" command.

>   Hence I suggested,
>that doing so is problematic and circumventable.  This has been
>demonstrated already.

Actually the revelation of the claimed identity of people who *post to* the
list is relatively noncontroversial, I think.
What bothered a great many about "who" is that it removes the ability of
*listening* in peace, and (in the case of using BCC mails to attempt to
circumvent list blocks) removes the ability to *stop* the flow of
information by removing oneself from the list.

                         Harald A

Harald.Alvestrand@edb.maxware.no