[ga-sys]

RE: [ga-sys] Registrars want privacy

Mm, it was not my intention to deflect, debate or diminish your point, but
rather simply to bring some context to your comment.

I can't say that I disagree with much of what you've stated below. It does
stand to reason that Eric was trying to employ the same "spam" avoidance
technique that you describe.

> I appreciate that TUCOWS is due some credit for the current privacy
> initiative, and commend you for that, but would like to see it go further.

If you have any specific suggestions, I would be pleased to consider them.

> What is of most importance for the stability of the internet is
> to solve the
> technical problems of how System Administrators can troubleshoot in an
> emergency without the contact details from a public WHOIS that
> they say they
> need (but which the current rules encourage a Registrant to hide). To that
> end, I have yet to hear a valid argument for a Registrant's real name,
> physical postal address and residential phone number to be on
> that shopping
> list.

It's not an arguement that I could effectively tackle (nor necessarily want
to), but I would have to say that the current implementation does make a lot
of intituitive sense to me. It's unfortunate however that the use of the
current implementation is far too often abused. The latter certainly has to
change, I just don't have any great ideas that will make this happen. Of
course, this doesn't mean that we will stand in the way of progressive and
effective privacy policy - far from it.

-rwr