[ga-sys]

[ga-sys] EC to VeriSign letter & ICANN WHOIS website

I would also like to refer to extracts from Timothy Denton's comments on the
Registrar's list as relevant to discussions here:-

<snip> We are also aware that the European Commission has written VeriSign
directly, stating their objections to the provisions of the Registration
Agreement which make disclosure of this data mandatory.

I am informed that the EC will favour a trusted third party approach to the
holding and disclosure of this data.

In process terms, the Names Council who-is committee now claims jurisdiction
on the issue. However, we would like to see some action from ICANN on this
topic, as regards helping the process of public consultation get started. I
am informed that ICANN's cooperation is needed to get the web-based
consultation moving.
http://www.dnso.org/clubpublic/registrars/Arc01/msg00563.html

Questions:

1) Did I miss the EU to VeriSign letter, or is this private stuff?

2) Would the "trusted third party" be a new entity ? If not, who?

3) Is ICANN cooperation needed for just another whitewash (ignored public
comment forum on a pre-determined agreement by staff), or is there to be
something with more substance, that might actually explain the issues before
any document is prepared?

Regards,
Joanna

--