[ga-sys]

Re: [ga-sys] Registrars want privacy

In defence of the principle behind the conversation surrounding the first
quote, the general conversation was concerning increased coordination
between registrars for the purpose of increasing registrant service. Every
day I get far too many calls from registrants with problems that take far
too long to resolve because "hotline" information about another registrar is
simply not available. With private hotline information like this available
to all registrars, it really would make it much easier to resolve customer
service issues.

As it currently stands, with a lot of registrars, issues of this nature
simply get queued up with the rest of their general inquiries. Not exactly a
great situation when one is trying to get to the bottom of a critical
support situation like a hijacking or something similar. If the information
described below was made generally available, the contacts would quickly be
overwhelmed by general nature inquiries and not the emergencies that we were
discussing.

We were not discussing making registrar data completely private, hidden or
otherwise obfuscated. I think that you will find that registrar contact data
is readily available for most types of inquiries with most registrars
because that is our business.

Hope this clarifies the original context somewhat.

Thanks,

-rwr

Tucows Inc.
t. 416.538.5492