[ga-roots]

Re: [ga-roots] Community Roots or Red Herrings

At 12:26 10/05/01 -0400, Kendall Dawson wrote:
>At 09:18 AM 5/10/2001 -0700, William X. Walsh wrote:
>>Hello Patrick,
>>
>>Thursday, May 10, 2001, 7:45:17 AM, Patrick Corliss wrote:
>> > You are still avoiding the issue.  What policy should ICANN adopt?
>>
>>And you are still avoiding the issue.
>>
>>Why is a policy necessary?
>
>ICANN needs to take a "proactive" stance on this matter instead of sticking
>their heads in the sand. ICANN can pretend that there is no such thing as
>alternative roots -- but, one day they will wake up and find out that more
>people are using alternatives than the traditional a-root. MultiBind is
>only the beginning. Companies like New Net will be popping up all over the
>place (I saw a new one yesterday).
>
>ICANN needs to take steps to address this issue now -- because it's not
>going to go away!

That is the right answer.
*What* the policy should be is yet unclear, but there is no better place to
prepare it than the ICANN DNSO.
Somehow I don't think new.net will invite policy input (for its registry
contracts) from its registrants.

--Joop Teernstra LL.M.--
the Cyberspace Association and
the constituency for Individual Domain Name Owners
Elected representative.
http://www.idno.org