[ga-roots]

[ga-roots] Community Roots or Red Herrings

On Thursday, May 10, 2001 9:09 PM (AEST), Dassa wrote:
Re: Re[2]: [ga-roots] Re: [icann-eu] Letter to Dr. Vint Cerf

> This highlights one of the problems I have with the so called
> "alternative"/"competitive" roots.  Here we clearly have individuals
> dictating what users will be able to resolve.  Without any true community
> input or participation.

Huh?  We are talking about a free-market economy here.  Are you seriously
taking the view that a corporation like New.Net needs to have community
input before it starts operating a competitive root?  If so, that, I must
say, is unrealistic.

There are very many root operators in the world.  Their operations are not
illegal and I am certain that there would be little community support if the
Australian Government wanted to criminalise them.  Of course there would
little opposition, either ;-).

> I still consider calling them "private" roots is the most descriptive and
> accurate term.  They are not true community mechanisms.

Who actually said they were "community" mechanisms?  This are what is known
as a "straw man" argument.  You said it and then disagree with yourself.
And you've created a diversion worthy of the title "red herring" (laying a
false trail).

    http://www.nizkor.org/features/fallacies/red-herring.html

The question is not whether or not competitive roots are "community
ventures" and the use of "dictates" in connection with a free-market economy
is quite misleading.

The question is whether the free-market use of competitive roots, legacy or
otherwise, will create confusion in the DNS.   You think that it is a
problem.  Others agree.

You are still avoiding the issue.  What policy should ICANN adopt?

Best regards
Patrick Corliss