[ga-roots]

RE: [ga-roots] MOTION - Consensus-Based Policy on Alt Roots

At 05:09 PM 5/9/01 +0200, you wrote:
>At 10:17 09.05.2001 -0400, Gene Marsh wrote:
>>Interesting wording.  This would seem to be an acknowledgement that there
>>are other legitimate root systems.
>
>It says nothing about legitimacy at all; I believe it is not a fruitful
>angle of attack.

Froomkin's already answered the legitimacy questions.

>>   Does this acknowledgement, with a
>>statement that ICANN believes their purposes are for "other than serving as
>>the traditional DNS root" absolve ICANN from the practice of implementing an
>>existing TLD in their root system?
>
>"absolve ICANN from the practice"? If you mean that ICANN cannot be forced
>to NOT implement a TLD just because the same string is used for some other
>purpose in some other system - YES.

By doing that, this proposal condones "taking away". In order to work it
would also have to repeal the 5th Amendment of the US Constitution. It
would have the effect of legalizing certain criminal activities. I don't
think this is what Harald intended, but that is the result.

>>   If this were indeed the case, would not
>>any alt.root system have the right to implement a new .COM, since its
>>purposes (as defined by ICANN) are for "other than serving as the
>>traditional DNS root"?
>
>Selling such a service (a different .com) under the name of "selling DNS
>service", without making it clear that this is NOT the "normal" DNS
>service, would be consumer fraud, in my opinion.

Adding some boilerplate avoids consumer fraud. IANA issued the boilerplate
for alt.roots in 1996 for the Draft Postel testbed. I fear the result
described above will just create lots more of the technological racism that
exists today.

>>Is this really the most prudent path?
>
>Probably not. But it is different from the one Patrick suggests.

I liked some of it. Maybe there's a middle ground. ;-)

Best Regards,

Simon Higgs

--
It's a feature not a bug...