[ga-roots]

Re: [ga-roots] MOTION - Consensus-Based Policy on Alt Roots

At 13:10 09.05.2001 +1000, Patrick Corliss wrote:
>Hi Marc
>
>As the role of the DNSO General Assembly is to provide consensus-based
>policy input to ICANN, I have asked everybody that they think that
>consensus-based policy should be?  I therefore move the following policy
>should be adopted by ICANN:
>
>"ICANN adopts compliance with the relevant DNS standards as a general
>principle.  It recognises that there is a likelihood of collision and/or
>confusion when root operators do not comply with RFC 1591 which suggests
>that there should be a "unique root zone*.  ICANN will therefore adopt
>methods and measures to foster co-operation and compliance within the
>industry."
>
>Any seconders?

Motion to amend motion.

Note that debate in the GA can only affect GA statements. Thus, the
statement should be formulated as a request to the Names Council to propose
a policy to the ICANN BoD.

In addition, I (like William) think that this statement does not say what
the majority of the GA wants it to say. I could be wrong about the majority....

Amended motion.

"The DNSO GA recommends that the DNSO NC recommend to the ICANN BoD the
following policy statement:

------
ICANN administers a set of "root" servers that conform to the DNS protocol
as standardized by the IETF, serving a namespace hereafter referred to as
the "ICANN namespace".

Recognizing the need for an unique namespace at the root of the DNS as
specified in RFC 2826, ICANN reaffirms that it will not initiate services
where root servers under ICANN control will return different answers for
the same domain name; ICANN will operate only one namespace.

Recognizing that there is an urgent request for the addition of names to this
namespace, ICANN has started establishing procedures for such additions,
the first of which are scheduled to be added in 2001.

ICANN recognizes that there are other name spaces served by organizations
unrelated to ICANN, for purposes other than serving as the traditional
DNS root.

Where the operators of other name spaces are selling services to others,
ICANN urges the operators of those name spaces to take one or both of two
steps:

- Make it clear to their customers that these name spaces are unaffiliated
   with the ICANN namespace in any way. One effective means of doing this
   is to not include any reference to names registered in the ICANN
   namespace (such as .com).

- If there are names in their namespace that they wish to have added to
   the ICANN namespace, follow the procedures for applying for such names
   as soon as such procedures are reopened following the evaluation of the
   first round of additions.

---------

The logic should be obvious - make clear that the other namespaces are
REALLY unaffiliated, and must sink or swim on their own.

        Harald, who believes in explicit policies.....