[ga-roots]

Re: [ga-roots] MOTION - Consensus-Based Policy on Alt Roots

At 01:10 PM 5/9/01 +1000, you wrote:

>"ICANN adopts compliance with the relevant DNS standards as a general
>principle.  It recognises that there is a likelihood of collision and/or
>confusion when root operators do not comply with RFC 1591 which suggests
>that there should be a "unique root zone*.  ICANN will therefore adopt
>methods and measures to foster co-operation and compliance within the
>industry."
>
>Any seconders?

Hang on. Am I reading this right? Some of the alt.root operators have
complied with RFC1591. The failure has been in the processing of the TLD
applications by IANA, and now ICANN.

If you meant RFC2826, all the alt.roots are already in compliance just by
being an alt.root. RFC2826 does not specify which root, and it therefore
applies to all roots (i.e. you can use only one root - any root - don't use
two and mix them together). Use of a single alt.root ensures compliance
with RFC2826.

Being cynical, the last sentence also could continue the status quo of
"ICANN's way or the highway". It does not mend fences or heal rifts which
are necessary to actually foster co-operation.

Best Regards,

Simon Higgs

--
It's a feature not a bug...