[ga-roots]

[ga-roots] Re: MOTION - Consensus-Based Policy on Alt Roots

Hello Patrick,

Tuesday, May 08, 2001, 10:23:24 PM, Patrick Corliss wrote:
>> No motion is needed.  No policy is needed.  Privately run root systems
>> are not within ICANN's mandate, and have no relevance to the ICANN
>> process.

> Most people seem to think that there should be a policy.  You have taken the
> most negative approach by saying that no policy is needed.  It is equally a
> distortion to say they are "privately run" root systems when they are on the
> internet.

I guess if you pull a Clinton and define "most people" as "most people
who support the concept of alternative privately run roots having
rights beyond their own dns servers" then you may be correct.

But since that isn't how "most people" is defined, you are wrong.

As for if they are "privately run" or not, the distortion is to try
and claim otherwise.

> This list has been set up to try to develop a consensus-based policy.  Once
> you have said "no policy is needed" that's the end of your contribution.

No, it isn't.  My contribution is also to make sure that a small
faction does not try and push forward a policy as "consensus" that is
so clearly not.

In the future, Patrick, I'll decide what my contribution is or isn't,
and when it starts and ends, ok?

This list should never have been created.

I'll repost the necessary burdens that must be met before a policy can
be suggested:

1) there is an area that has enough significance to warrant a policy

2) that current policies do not adequately address the issue

3) that the policy can be shown to solve the problem in a substantial
fashion (provided that #1 has shown there to be a problem to be
solved)

4) That the body in which the policy is being proposed is the
appropriate place for such a policy to be developed

5) That the advantages to the policy outweigh the disadvantages.

As the side proposing a policy, the burden is on you to show that ALL
5 of these requirements have been met.

#1 and #4 should be addressed first.

Simple stating that "collisions" will exist is not a sufficient answer
to the burden to show significance.

--
Best regards,
William X Walsh