[ga-roots]

RE: [ga-roots] MOTION - Consensus-Based Policy on Alt Roots

On 9 May 2001, at 17:09, Harald Tveit Alvestrand wrote:

> At 10:17 09.05.2001 -0400, Gene Marsh wrote:
> >Interesting wording.  This would seem to be an acknowledgement that there
> >are other legitimate root systems.
>
> It says nothing about legitimacy at all; I believe it is not a fruitful
> angle of attack.
>
> >   Does this acknowledgement, with a
> >statement that ICANN believes their purposes are for "other than serving
> >as the traditional DNS root" absolve ICANN from the practice of
> >implementing an existing TLD in their root system?
>
> "absolve ICANN from the practice"? If you mean that ICANN cannot be forced
> to NOT implement a TLD just because the same string is used for some other
> purpose in some other system - YES.
>
> >   If this were indeed the case, would not
> >any alt.root system have the right to implement a new .COM, since its
> >purposes (as defined by ICANN) are for "other than serving as the
> >traditional DNS root"?
>
> Selling such a service (a different .com) under the name of "selling DNS
> service", without making it clear that this is NOT the "normal" DNS
> service, would be consumer fraud, in my opinion.

Normal DNS service?

If it would be fraud to implement a duplicate .com, it will be fraud to
implement a duplicate .biz.

Again, DoC does not have to inlcude the original .biz in their root, but
they cannot duplicate it either with different DNS servers.