[ga-roots]

RE: [ga-roots] MOTION - Consensus-Based Policy on Alt Roots

At 10:17 09.05.2001 -0400, Gene Marsh wrote:
>Interesting wording.  This would seem to be an acknowledgement that there
>are other legitimate root systems.

It says nothing about legitimacy at all; I believe it is not a fruitful
angle of attack.

>   Does this acknowledgement, with a
>statement that ICANN believes their purposes are for "other than serving as
>the traditional DNS root" absolve ICANN from the practice of implementing an
>existing TLD in their root system?

"absolve ICANN from the practice"? If you mean that ICANN cannot be forced
to NOT implement a TLD just because the same string is used for some other
purpose in some other system - YES.

>   If this were indeed the case, would not
>any alt.root system have the right to implement a new .COM, since its
>purposes (as defined by ICANN) are for "other than serving as the
>traditional DNS root"?

Selling such a service (a different .com) under the name of "selling DNS
service", without making it clear that this is NOT the "normal" DNS
service, would be consumer fraud, in my opinion.

>Is this really the most prudent path?

Probably not. But it is different from the one Patrick suggests.