Re: [ga] Election debate?

At 07:17 a.m. 29/05/2002 +1200, DPF wrote:

>The main reason against the elections seems to be variants on we can't
>make them 100% fraud free.  Well what country in the world boasts 100%
>fraud free elections - none - yet they do not cancel elections.

Election fraud by individual voters (multiple voting) is insignificant and,
given a broad enough voters' roll, does not materially affect the outcome
of a vote.

As for election fraud (vote buying, intimidation and bullying, ballot box
burning) that can be orchestrated by candidates for office, this is more
difficult in Cyberspace than it is in the physical world. Multiple
distributed voting systems will make it even more difficult.

In short: the objection is phony.

The key reason (I must presume-since  the discussion was sub rosa) why the
5 directors are opposed to public elections , is that ICANN may not control
the nomination process.

--Joop