Re: [ga] Election debate?

On Tue, 28 May 2002 12:52:11 EDT, DannyYounger@cs.com wrote:

>Thomas,
>
>It's probably not too early to start planning the GA's agenda for the
>upcoming ICANN meeting.  While the Board has denied us an At-Large election
>process,  I note that CIRA has launched its *second* online election campaign
>for candidates seeking a seat on the CIRA Board of Directors.  Perhaps you
>could organize a debate between a CIRA representative and our Canadian DNSO
>Board representative, Jon Cohen, on the fairness, representativeness,
>validity and affordability of on-line elections.

A great idea.

The more I think about the reasons given for no elections the more I
get madder because it is obvious they are just an excuse to cover up
the real reason that some people do not want the Board to be
accountable to the internet community but a self appointing body like
the IOC.

The main reason against the elections seems to be variants on we can't
make them 100% fraud free.  Well what country in the world boasts 100%
fraud free elections - none - yet they do not cancel elections.

In New Zealand one doesn't even have to show ID when you turn up to
vote.  One can register to vote off the Internet with the only thing
extra needed is to sign the form they post you.  This is open to
obvious fraud.  In Australia they found a cat registered as a voter.
This doesn't mean Australia and NZ abandon elections.

DPF
--
david@farrar.com
ICQ 29964527